Monday 10 February 2014

7. Fighting 'Til the End

The book:  Champion (Legend #3)
The author:  Marie Lu
The rating:  3.5 stars

"Billions of people will come and go in this world," he says softly, "but there will never be another like you."

So, here we are.  The end of an era, the conclusion of a trilogy, the final page in the story of Day and June.  I chose that epigraph with a touch of irony; as has been the problem for the entire series, my biggest issue with Champion is that there will always be plenty more like it.  It's not that I'm expecting the Earth and the stars, but in every novel, I hope to find something fresh.  A unique idea.  A unique voice.  A twist.  A spark.  Champion and the Legend series as a whole are everything you expect from the dystopian genre; they follow all the steps, but they're missing the breath of life to take them from cookie-cutter story to true adventure.

More so than either of its predecessors, Champion feels like it is just going through the motions.  I was constantly struck by how little had happened in such a large number of pages; the premise may be the invasion of the Republic, but aside from that frame, there is little-to-no plot.  We get to visit another country in Lu's futuristic world, Antarctic, itself replete with a ridiculous government system heavy-handedly engineered to give readers their daily dose of Diet Theme.  We see the continuation of Day's soap-opera storyline, and...  I'm at a loss to list much else that happened until we reach the 3/4 mark.  June goes to a senate meeting.  We spend copious amounts of time in a hospital setting.  There's a sex scene.  I'm actually kind of impressed by how much space Lu manages to fill with so little.  The plot coasts off the events of the previous two books; there's no wild adventures, no intriguing ideas, no exciting premises.  Lu's just killing time until we get to the conclusion.

The conclusion.  Based upon what I've written thus far, it seems a bit weird for me to be giving the novel a higher rating than Prodigy.  I'm still not entirely sure how I feel about the conclusion, but it's Champion's saving grace.  It's fresh.  It's well-written.  More happens in the epilogue than in the novel's entirety.  For once, Lu brings something fresh to the table, something beyond the cliched happy ever after or textbook bittersweet ending.  Upon inspection, the ending did have some considerable flaws:  I'm not a neuroscientist, but I don't think people work that way; that relocation seems to go against our daily theme injection; does the future-Internet magically disappear or something?  These sort of flaws don't bother me much, though.  This may seem hard to believe, especially considering the ratings I've been doling out, but I'm not really a harsh critic.  If a book's enjoyable, so what if there are a few plot holes along the way?  It's a story, an adventure; if you're too caught up in the hard science of it, you're not going to enjoy the ride.

While Champion was not all that it could have been, the ending was.  It was distinct, mature... it had that sense of both realism and magic that had enchanted me in Legend but had been missing from the series since.  Plus, Day gets a haircut; it's everything I'd wanted all along.  I'm not sure if I'll be willing to pick up any of Lu's future efforts, but all in all I'm glad to have taken the chance on the Legend series.

No comments:

Post a Comment